When you learn my final EpiPen experiment submit, you then noticed my discovery that EpiPens heated on the dashboard of a automobile will hearth lower than half the time. Temperatures within the 180s and 190s Fahrenheit are clearly sufficient to wreck an EpiPen. However will the warmth contained in the glove field additionally harm an EpiPen?
It’s spectacular that excessive warmth compromises EpiPen gadget integrity. It’s additionally essential to know. However more often than not when folks depart their epinephrine within the automobile, they don’t depart it on the dashboard, in full solar, and going through south. It’s both by chance, or as a result of they retailer it there.
When somebody shops an EpiPen within the warmth of a automobile, they’ll usually depart it within the glove field or one other compartment. When folks depart their EpiPens in a sizzling automobile by chance, they normally have it in a handbag or bag of some kind. In these conditions, the EpiPens would nonetheless get highly regarded, however wouldn’t attain the 195 levels I achieved on the dashboard. So I additionally did an experiment to see if EpiPens would jam when left within the automobile below extra regular person circumstances.
Experiment 2: Glove Field Warmth impact on an EpiPen
Concurrently my dashboard warmth experiment, I had 20 extra EpiPens in my automobile. These had been in my glove field. The very best temperature I recorded in my glove field was 137.7 levels Fahrenheit.
I adopted the identical protocols with these EpiPens. I had 10 matched pairs to manage for person harm previous to them reaching me. One from every pair, I fired whereas nonetheless sizzling from the automobile. The opposite, I fired after permitting it to return to room temperature.
The outcomes of this experiment weren’t fairly as spectacular. Every EpiPen uncovered to warmth in my glove field fired usually. I don’t know the place the break level of an EpiPen is, however I’ve narrowed it all the way down to someplace between 137 and 195 levels Fahrenheit.
To be trustworthy, I type of want a few of the glove field EpiPens had jammed. For one, it wasn’t a really thrilling video, nor did it exhibit the hazard of leaving epinephrine within the warmth. However for 2, I fear that it might trigger a false sense of safety for some folks.
There are nonetheless individuals who depart EpiPens of their automobile on goal. Normally, that is on the premise that they’re usually close to their automobile, so that they assume maintaining it within the automobile is a approach to all the time have it obtainable.
Sadly, it is a very dangerous observe, and never simply because the EpiPen itself can jam below the fitting circumstances. Quite a few research have demonstrated that the drug epinephrine shortly loses its efficacy when uncovered to warmth. And this occurs at temperatures which can be a lot decrease than recorded on my dashboard. One latest examine confirmed that leaving an EpiPen within the automobile as soon as can cut back the efficient dose of the drug inside, by as a lot as 13-14%!
Simply as you don’t need your EpiPen to misfire if you want it, you additionally need to ensure you get a full dose of medicine when you go into anaphylaxis. Due to this fact, it is vitally essential to just be sure you defend your EpiPens from warmth. Chilly just isn’t as damaging, however warmth very clearly damages EpiPens, and in additional methods than one. Maintain these Epis cool, people!
You may watch the video of me firing these EpiPens on YouTube right here.
For these of you who like numbers and specifics, listed here are the small print of my experiment.
- My automobile is darkish blue. I parked it going through south in full solar.
- Exterior highs had been within the 80s most days.
- 20 Pens had been on the sprint, instantly in full daylight (the cookie sheet was so they might all match on my sloped sprint.)
- 20 Pens had been within the glove field, which didn’t get fairly as sizzling, however higher displays the habits of oldsters who retailer Epis within the automobile.
- I cooked the Pens in my automobile each day for
two weeksEnded up being 6 weeks.
- My automobile retreated to the storage in a single day.
- For half of the time, I recorded dashboard temperature each ten minutes.
- For the opposite half of the time, I recorded glove field temperature each ten minutes.
- Jen from Blue Bear Conscious offered us with the instruments to precisely report the temperatures. Thanks Jen!
- I used this gadget to measure temperatures. It’s small and programmable, nice for monitoring medicine temp, although a bit techy.
- I paired off the 2-packs that initially got here collectively and clearly labeled them (A-a, B-b, and so on.)
- A by way of J had been on the sprint, Q by way of Z had been within the glove field.
- On the conclusion, I allowed the capital-letter-labeled Pens to return to room temperature earlier than firing them, and fired the lower-case-labeled Pens whereas nonetheless sizzling.
- Expirations ranged from November 2013 to December 2017.
- Expirations had been evenly distributed between the sprint and glove field.
- I didn’t use any Pens that expired between April 2017 and October 2017. That was the time vary of Mylan’s recall (my final experiment concerned Pens that expired August 2017, which was in between recalled heaps.) I wished to verify this experiment was not impacted by Pens that ought to have been recalled however weren’t!
twosix weeks, we behaved like a one-car household so my automobile might completely prepare dinner EpiPens.
- The utmost temperature I recorded from my dashboard was 195.four levels Fahrenheit.
- Temperatures on the dashboard repeatedly reached the 180s.
- The utmost temperature I recorded from my glove field was 137.7 levels Fahrenheit.
- Temperatures within the glove field repeatedly reached the 120s.
When you discover this form of content material useful (it’s sophisticated and time-consuming) please think about supporting us on Patreon. Our Patrons really do assist us maintain this form of factor going!