In hindsight, our son Alex (aka “Buddy”) had abdomen points that had been with him so long as I can bear in mind. My husband Kevin and I simply didn’t notice that they weren’t typical childhood “illnesses.” Between Buddy being a quiet baby and the frequent normal signs, nothing ever rose to the extent of panic or continued concern.
When Buddy was eight, we moved abroad with the U.S. Air Drive. After a couple of months there, his abdomen pains gave the impression to be getting worse. We chalked it as much as stress from the transfer, as a result of Buddy was undoubtedly an anxious baby who internalized feelings greater than our different kids. However when he started to develop thinner and thinner, and his abdomen pains brought about him to cry and double over – even waking him up at evening – I lastly realized it was extra than simply stress.
I’ll always remember the day I used to be given Alex’s prognosis. (Really, the weekend…I used to be informed on a Friday.) I cried, and panicked, (and perhaps drank a couple of case of wine.) Alex was utterly illiberal and allergic to only about each meals group on the planet. What was I going to feed this baby who was losing away as a result of every part he ate damage him? My full-time job turned making an attempt to determine simply another factor I might make for him, that he might eat. I’m certain a lot of you possibly can relate!
Once we moved again to the U.S. in 2015, I used to be so excited as a result of the US has every part proper? Complete Meals, Dealer Joes, and many others….The issue was that Alex’s meals points had been so complete and broad that I couldn’t discover ONE product, not to mention a dessert, that didn’t have at the least one of many objects on his forbidden checklist. I might discover gluten and nut free, however not egg free; Or egg free however not gluten free or soy free. In search of muffins or cookies to deal with him, or to ship with him to highschool for “celebration” days -without eggs or gluten or soy- that didn’t style like dry cardboard, was like looking for the Holy Grail. It simply DID NOT exist. So, like several mother of an allergy-kiddo, I needed to simply work out learn how to make it. I couldn’t stand another unfair tear from Alex not having the ability to eat what everybody else might eat, or not having the ability to be included in birthday events or benefit from the sweets at sleepovers; typical childhood experiences.
So, after months and month of failed recipes and makes an attempt, I lastly created a listing of recipes for muffins and cookies that Alex might eat. Nice information, proper? Effectively, sort-of… The issue was that many of the recipes required costly components, and the large batches of desserts solely lasted a day or two as a result of they lacked moisture and fats. The expense and the waste had been changing into an actual downside for me. I HATE meals waste, and albeit, we couldn’t afford it.
I wanted to create a protected single serving dessert that was helpful, straightforward to make, and scrumptious… Then, one superb day – practically 2 years after Buddy’s prognosis – I attempted out my latest creation, a single serving of my “secret recipe” allergen-free mug cake, and bought the overwhelming and ever-coveted verbal stamp of approval from my husband and three choosy kids.
I invented Buddy Muffins, partly, to resolve my downside of meals waste, as they’re single-serving parts. What I didn’t notice, on the time of creation, was what number of different issues they solved for me, and might clear up for different meals allergen associates:
- They’re extremely fast to make; only one minute or so within the microwave and they’re baked.
- They don’t require an oven, so there’s no fear about forgetting to show it off or the children hurting themselves making an attempt to make a deal with. (Though they can be baked within the oven, if desired!)
- There isn’t a threat of overeating or consuming an excessive amount of “junk” meals since every Buddy Cake packet makes one good serving!
- Buddy Muffins + Frostings are completely transportable. Take them on the go! They’re good to take to sleepovers, playdates, or to maintain at school school rooms or dorm rooms. (All that’s required is oil and “milk” – dairy or non-dairy – and a microwave, which most faculties and dorms have!)
- They’re versatile! Bake some mini Buddy-cupcakes forward of a street journey or to tackle the aircraft or to the seashore! One among our favourite choices is making Buddy Cake Bites to tackle the go! (see web site below “Recipes”)
- THEY ARE FUN!! Go forward…combine and match muffins and frostings! In truth, Buddy Muffins are a fantastic different to any celebration cake (allergen-free or not) as a result of you possibly can set out a collection of cake mixes and frostings with a home-made topping bar and let the ingenious “baking” run amuck! And don’t neglect to take a look at BuddysAF.com for inventive “Buddy Cake Variations!”
Having a small enterprise that permits me to carry smiles to children’ faces, to carry again the enjoyment and anticipation of delicious dessert to those that have needed to settle or go with out due to meals allergic reactions and challenges, is likely one of the happiest facets of my life! I simply hope to unfold the grins so far as I can with Buddy’s Allergen Free!
Your Buddy Laura!
Buddy’s Allergen Free